Tuesday 15 March 2022

The Cleveland Way

In just four short weeks I am intending to set off on the 108 mile Cleveland Way. I have equal measures of excitement and trepidation planning this walk. I'm reasonably fit but have been struggling with my hip a little so if anything will stop me that will be it.

Cleveland Way

Image from; the-cleveland-way-great-yorkshire-walks

It's been 18 months since I did the Pennine Way and it's fair to say that lockdown was not kind to me. I am carrying an extra stone due to all the baking and lying around I have enjoyed. I have lost some of the extra but have to admit that part of my motivation for doing this walk is that I lost 10lb while walking last time!

I am always excited when I begin planning a walk- sometimes to the exclusion of checking my calendar for possible clashes. So my initial 7 day plan has been squashed down to 6 days - but I have confidence that I can do it (honest).

As usual I am not planning everything down to the last detail - I like to set off with a map, tent and some food, a vague idea of miles per day and see what happens. I understand I may not even finish this one due to the time constraint and my hip issue. To give me the best chance I will be traveling as lightweight as I possibly can.

I am going to wild camp as much as possible, although I have heard this may be difficult for the coastal part of the trek so I'll be open to campsites and B&Bs if necessary. 

The next couple of weeks I will be looking at the route and giving myself a vague idea of what the path is like. I have done some of it on The Coast to Coast and the Lake Wake Way and have a couple of possible camping spots in mind.

Once I have a better idea I will show you my final pack and share my decision making process with you about what I am deciding to take with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment