Thursday 19 August 2010

In the beginning there were treking poles

I have always enjoyed walking, my parents were always taking the six of us on long walks and up mountains, I think they were motivated by the fact that it was free and the possibility that they might one day manage to lose one us.
I have done a few walks over recent years although I have been more into running until recently. I did Hellvelyn in May 2008, a 14 mile hike in new boots (which were fine incidentally), and have combined May bank holiday hiking trips with long walks.
My brother John decided last spring that he would walk Offas Dyke, a 196 trek from Prestatyn to Sedbury marking the border of England and Wales as King Offa saw it. So during the first bank holiday weekend in May a group of 5 of us set off to support him on the first 2 days of his quest. Although I found it tough I really enjoyed myself and as I was going through a tough time in my life I found it all the more emotionally relaxing. Suffice to say, I was hooked! It was during this weekend that I discovered trekking poles, to be honest I had always secretly laughed at people who used them (unless they were really old of course - I'm not heartless!). I had some issues during the first day with my hip, probably related to the operation I had at 18 months, I struggle with stiles and going down steep slopes. I was in doubt as to whether I would manage to complete the second day, my elder brother had already opted out of half the walk as he had broken his toe doing judo. However my sister Gem came to the rescue and lent me her poles, they were amazing!!! I take back every secret taunting laugh.
I felt really jealous when I left John and Gem the next day to continue the walk with their backpacks, it was just them and nature for the next 4 days. I'd never been backpacking myself but had always wanted to try. I made up my mind there and then to do it. I began researching equipment and got myself the basics I would need for a hike of a few days.
Here I am with Gem on my first test hike to try out backpack etc.

This blog is intended to keep a record of my walking and will hopefully also provide tips for others wanting to take up the hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment