Sunday 5 September 2010

Forresters Walk - Bromsgrove

There are 3 walks around North Bromsgrove collectively known as 'The Royal Hunters Walks', they vary in length from the Hedgelayers walk at 5 miles, the Chartists Way at 8 and the Forresters Walk at 12. I decided that the only one worth attempting was the longest one (a decision which I am now regretting sat here with aching limbs!). So myself, Gem and Ezz set off at 8:20 this morning with a spring in our step and the sun in the sky.
It was a good walk, no spectacular views and not much change in altitude but some lovely paths through relatively unspoilt woodland. It was well signposted, I had a map with me but didn't need to refer to it except out of interest (although I seem to remember attempting the chartists walk last year with Gem and getting lost). It began to rain at about 10:00, just as the MET office said it would, and rained steadily for about 2 hours, luckily for us most of this was as we walked through forests and were reasonably protected. Not enough protected for me not to realise that the £5 pac a way mac I picked up at a service station a couple of years ago is not very waterproof!
Like the true Britons we are we picnicked in the rain

While we were eating our lunch a group of ramblers came by (more on the differences between 'walkers' and 'ramblers' in another post!) They hadn't checked the weather report and one of them had decided to come out with no waterproof gear, his kind companions had helped him out though - a green binbag with holes cut for his arms and a yellow carrier bag tied to his head to fashion a hat! They were all pointing at him and laughing continually. After lunch we continued on our way, the rain turned to a drizzle and then stopped altogether, I soon dried out - except for my feet - new boots needed!
Gem and Ezz were really happy that the rain had stopped!

We had been discussing snakes earlier in the walk, Ezz is just back from Thailand and was commenting on how nice it is to walk around without worrying that something poisonous will bite you. Also that he has seen more snakes in this country than over there, then we came across a snake! It was quite flat, but identifiable as a grass snake all the same.......

"Yes, I'm pretty sure it's dead"

We were all rather tired when we got home, my hip held out for most of the walk, I needed the trekking poles around mile 8 but managed without any ibuprofen. Aching now though!!
On the whole this is a walk I would recommend to anyone with a good pair of waterproof boots that doesn't like climbing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment